Many of us will experience a mental health problem during our lives. General psychiatry is the medical specialty concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of mental health problems.
General psychiatrists treat working age adults experiencing a range of mental health problems including:
- mood disorders such as depression and bipolar affective disorder
- psychosis and schizophrenia
- anxiety disorders
- stress-related disorders and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- obsessive-compulsive disorder
- interpersonal problems
- personality disorder
- attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
A psychiatric consultation will include a detailed assessment to understand the nature of the problem. If required, your consultant psychiatrist will then be able to request additional tests such as cognitive assessments, blood tests and brain imaging with Queen Square Private Healthcare’s renowned facilities. Treatment options may include follow-up appointments, medicines and psychotherapy (talking therapies) such as cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT).